2013-06-01

The TGV

Being a gricer is most unladylike in my view.  However, I thought I would talk about the TGV (Train à Grande Vitesse), given that this is something that shows how France excels in several areas.  I know that it is very unladylike to boast about speed, but the gricers reading this will know that France achieved the record for the highest speed of a train on conventional rails ever.  The record was set by the V150: - 574.8 km/h (357.2 mph) on 3 April 2007 on the not-yet-opened LGV Est.



I mentioned that I come from Marseille and that my life is split between Paris and Marseille.  Such a lifestyle would be less easy to maintain without the high-speed rail system that exists in France.  There is a pretty much continuous stretch of high-speed track between Paris and Marseille, save for the local tracks at each end of the route.  Shown below is a TGV Duplex in Paris Gare de Lyon station.



The fastest journeys available between Paris and Marseille by train are three hours and five minutes in length.  This means that I can easily find the time to go between the two cities (in between my strenuous 35-hour working week), without having to resort to Anglo-Saxon methods of transportation, such as car and plane.  Sophisticated French women walk pretty much everywhere, though for some distances, it is not always practical: - the distance by train between Paris and Marseille is approximately 750km.  Even sophisticated French women don't tend to do that distance on foot on a daily basis!  For the distances too impractical to do on foot, we have the TGV!  Vive la France!

The LGV (Lignes à Grande Vitesse) network covers several French towns and cities I just adore, particularly in my part of France.  Aix-en-Provence and Avignon both have their own TGV stations.  Also, I can get to Lyon in a little over an hour from Marseille and sample the gastronomic delights thereof.  Bordeaux, with its fine wines, will be connected to the LGV network in 2017 or so when the line from Tours is put into service.

Even today, we are showing how sophisticated we French people are in the field of rolling stock design.  Recently, the Italians put into service a train made by Alstom (a French company, no less) called the AGV (Automotrice à Grande Vitesse).


Further proof that we French are unrivalled in our sophistication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog Impossibly Dainty French Woman where I tell everyone how wonderful we Frenchwomen are and how to be impossibly perfect and thin like us. Feel free to comment here or e-mail me on mariannegaboriault@gmail.com .