2013-07-27

A continuation of two previous posts

This post is a continuation of two posts I did recently.  It is a continuation of the one about my tea party-esque views and the one about café culture.



The theme of this post is how to do tea properly.  This is another thing that people in the Anglo-Saxon world don't seem to understand.  Regarding the part about tea  party sentiments, I don't know what I would have done if I had been at the Boston Tea Party.  Most probably, I would have been outraged at the monopoly put on tea, given that the British haven't the faintest idea about how to do tea properly, though I wouldn't have cared much about the taxes put on the tea, given that I wouldn't have bought it anyway.


I remember there was a reference to the Boston Tea Party in the film Mary Poppins.  Just before George Banks got sacked from his job, he commented on the Boston Tea Party, saying that the colonialists threw the tea overboard and made it unsuitable for drinking, even for Americans.


What hypocrisy!  Americans don't know how to drink tea properly, but then neither do the British.  British people are so stupid that they think the proper way to drink tea is to have the tea served with milk (and sometimes sugar) in a china cup with flowery patterns on it.  What monstrous stupidity!


A Frenchwoman knows that if drinking tea, the proper way to do it is to have the tea in a clear glass without milk and sip it delicately in a café whilst watching the world go by, with a blank facial expression only trendy Europeans can do.  Also, one should never ever use teabags!  Only stupid bumpkins would ever use tea bags!  If I ever got served tea in a café that was produced from teabags (a Frenchwoman's palate is sophisticated enough to know the difference), I would demand to see the manager without delay and quickly publish an article in my magazine telling people never to go there (my magazine focuses mainly in sartorial fashion, but is mindful of the fact that being fashionable is not just about what one wears).


Anglo-Saxon people are also ignorant of what types of tea are suitable for refined palates such as a Frenchwoman's.  For instance, Earl Grey and Lady Grey seem to be the choice for many pseudo-sophisticated British people.  Why are non-French people so daft?  The fact that there is a bit of French writing on the box below ("poids") does not compensate for the fact that it is unsophisticated!


If one wants to have sophisticated tea, then at the bargain basement end, the minimum quality one should consider is that embodied by the brand Mariage Frères, a remnant of the days when France was a world power, particularly in Asia (I wouldn't mind France enjoying the same colonial power, as that is a way in which people were no doubt made aware of how impossibly perfect we French women are).


Now, Mariage Frères is not a top brand, but a bargain basement brand, if you are a sophisticated Frenchwoman like me.  As for what constitutes a reasonable brand of tea, I will have to go into that another time, as I think this post is about optimum for a blog.  Please see the picture below showing a Mariage Frères close up and remember that only French people know how to do teas properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog Impossibly Dainty French Woman where I tell everyone how wonderful we Frenchwomen are and how to be impossibly perfect and thin like us. Feel free to comment here or e-mail me on mariannegaboriault@gmail.com .